Lead Pastor of Children’s Ministry
Vision of Role
The Lead Pastor of Children’s Ministry serves on our pastoral staff to provide point leadership to all of our children’s ministries – leading ministry teams and creating ministry environments and events that lead children into a personal relationship with Jesus.
Work directly with our Associate Kids Pastor to create a vibrant ministry culture consisting of children (birth through 5th grade) and adult leaders that introduces kids to Jesus and the church community, growing them in the faith. We expect the ministry environment to be diverse, authentic, empowered by the Spirit, and engaged in the community.
The Kids Ministries pastor’s role is extremely important to First Assembly. Our twin-city communities of Bloomington and Normal, Illinois are very family focused. These communities are known as great places to raise a family. They are also home to approximately 30,000 college students. The entire Next Generation ministry team MUST be a strength at First Assembly.
Other Ministry Experiences
Although this leader must focus on kids ministry, there will be opportunity to speak into the vision and process of the church at large and to develop other ministry skills and passions. We look to hire individuals who are hungry to broaden their ministry skill sets, lead in a variety of settings, and grow in their personal relationship with Christ.
This role will have influence on many of our church’s events, outreach strategies, and vision. It is important that our Lead Children’s Pastor has a deep passion – not just for kids ministry, but for the CHURCH. This leader must value the success of the whole church above their own.
What First Assembly Offers
- A collaborative, team environment with a healthy mix of age, gender, and ethnicity.
- Personable leadership that values each team members
- Coaching to develop individual goals and aspirations of the team.
- Permission giving leadership style built on trust and competency.
The Challenges Ahead of Us
- We are on a long-term renovation of our facility. We’ve got a generous amount of space – including GREAT newer facilities for our nursery and preschool. However, our elementary kids spaces need overhauled.
- We’ve fully renovated and updated our lobby and youth spaces. Our kids’ spaces are next to be upgraded followed by our adult worship space.
- We’re committed to making our elementary facilities GREAT. It’s going to happen, and happen soon, but the incoming leader will need to have the vision to see it.
Lead Pastor of Children’s Ministry must:
- Exhibit strong leadership through communication, planning, and solid judgment.
- Demonstrate a level of spiritual and social maturity that parents can trust.
- Have a call to lead ministry and a passion to preach.
- Empower our current Associate Kids Pastor to assist the kids ministry and adult teams.
- Express a commitment to the health and success of the whole church – not just a segment of the church.
- Partner with the whole Next Gen team to more effectively transition kids and families from Kids Ministry into the Student Ministry.
Desired Profile of Experiences
We would like to find a person or couple who:
- Has some large church (+1,000) experience – as staff, volunteer leader, intern, etc.
- Demonstrates excellent digital media and social media skills
- Has successfully led something – a team, a ministry group, etc.
- Reveals a high level of relational energy and models a “pastors heart” to shepherd all people – not just kids
- Exhibits excellence in communication, organization, and execution
- Has, is pursing, or clearly willing to pursue credentials with the Assemblies of God
- Has roots or experience in a Midwest culture
- Has finished a Bachelor’s degree
The Next Generation Ministry Team
The Next Generation Ministry office currently consists of three pastors, one director, and an administrative assistant: Student Ministries Pastor, Lead Children’s Pastor, Associate Children’s Pastor, Young Adult Director, and the Next Gen Administrative Assistant
The pastors and director have point leadership roles over their respective areas of ministry. The Next Generation Ministry Team works together to form a common, strategic mission for training and equipping leaders and creating a life-changing ministry for kids, students and young adults.
The Lead Pastor of Children’s Ministry serves on the pastoral staff, reports directly to the staff team lead, and works as a peer with the Associate Kids Pastor, Student Pastor, and the Young Adult Director to oversee the Next Generation Ministry Office.
The Church Mission and Values
First Assembly is called to RESTORE everyone, everywhere to a loving and holy God. We are called by God to be:
- Diverse – in ethnicity, age, social-economic status and spiritual background.
- Authentic – with God, others, and ourselves.
- Empowered – by the Spirit for life and ministry.
- Engaged – in our community and world.
Bloomington / Normal, IL are twin cities in central Illinois. We’re the world headquarters of State Farm Insurance and home to Illinois State University, Illinois Wesleyan University, and Heartland Community College. We have some of the best schools in the state and miles of biking / jogging trails. We’re a great place for families. The cities are surprisingly diverse due to State Farm’s global influence and the student population of Illinois State.
The Typical Staff Workweek
- Monday – Normal work day
- Tuesday – Pastor & Director prayer time, staff meetings in the morning
- Wednesday – Normal work day and Wednesday evening ministry.
- Thursday – Normal work day
- Friday – Day off
- Saturday – Flexible day with no regular office hours.
- Sunday – Worship Services
Salary & Benefits
The Lead Children’s Ministries Pastor is a full-time position with benefits. All salaries are set by the board of deacons based on scope of the position, experience, and education. Beyond a full-time regular salary, the following benefits are also included:
- Health Insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Technology stipend for personal devices
- Fitness Club Membership
- Annual development opportunities
- All new hires are subject to a 90-day employment review.
- All new hires are subject to the First Assembly employee guidelines.
Joel Labertew, Lead Pastor – email@example.com
Kenny Hackbarth, Worship & Communications Pastor – firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Number, 309-454-2402